Tibet Permits


For the latest information, please check Tibet Permit & Tibet Visa Travel Updates

Four required documents for foreign travelers in Tibet.

  1. A valid Chinese Visa or Tibet Group Visa.
  2. The Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB), an essential document for foreigners travel to Tibet.
  3. The Alien Travel Permit (PSB) when you are planning to travel to the 'unopened' areas in Tibet.
  4. The Military Permit, which is required if you are planning to travel to some military sensitive areas.

Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) Permit

Tibet Permit
Tibet permit is a required document for any foreigners and Taiwan citizens before they travel to Lhasa or any other regions of the Tibet.

This document is needed when boarding a flight or train and checking in the hotels in Lhasa. While taking an overland trip in Tibet, there are some checkpoints along the road, which will ask for your Tibet Permit. 

How to Apply for a Tibet Permit?

It is very easy. After you confirm the trip with us, we only need you to send us a clear scanned copy or photo of your passport, Chinese visa and some personal information at least 20 days in advance by email. 

Travel Permit ( PSB Permit)

PSB Permit is required to visit the 'unopened' areas in Tibet, including Mount Everest and Mount Kailash. It is issued by Foreign Affairs Section of the 

Local Public Security Bureau (PSB). 

How to Apply for a PSB Permit?

Generally, you can apply for it upon your arrival at Lhasa. Your passport and TTB Permit will be asked to submit to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB. It normally takes several hours and the cost is already included.

Please notice that individual travelers are not allowed to apply for the PSB Permit. They need to join the tours to visit the 'unopened' areas.  

Which Areas of Tibet are Listed as the Unopened Areas?

  • Tsedang: Samye Monastery, Tomb of Tibetan King, Trandruk Monastery, Yumbulakhang
  • Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, The Mount Everest, Rongphu Monastery 
  • Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa
  • Ngari Region: such as Mount Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, Tsaparang, Ali, ect.
  • Nyingchi Region: Such as Basum-tso, Pomi, Rawo-tso, ect.

Military Permit

It is required if you are planning to travel to Ngari, Nyingchi, and Nagqu which are regarded as the military sensitive areas in Tibet. It is issued by the Military office in Lhasa. Travel agencies will arrange it as you will visit this area. It usually takes about 3-4 days.

Important Issues about Tibet Permit:

  1. People with tourist (L), business (F), employment/work (Z) visa and student (X) visa have no issues to get the permit. Diplomats, journalists, and government officials require arrangement by Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government. 
  2. The details of the travelers are required for Tibet Permit: name, nationality, passport number, gender, date of birth and occupation (The copies of  your passport and China visa)
  3. Only the guide could hold the permit after you establish yourself on Tibet land. You are not allowed to bring with it.
  4. For more questions about Tibet Permit, you can check our Tibet FAQ



Add new comment