For the latest information, please check 2017 Tibet Permit & Tibet Visa Travel Updates.
Four required documents for foreign travelers in Tibet.
- A valid Chinese Visa or Tibet Group Visa.
- The Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB), an essential document for foreigners travel to Tibet.
- The Alien Travel Permit (PSB) when you are planning to travel to the 'unopened' areas in Tibet.
- The Military Permit, which is required if you are planning to travel to some military sensitive areas.
Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) Permit
TTB permit is a required document for any foreigners and Taiwan citizens before they travel to Lhasa or any other regions of the Tibet.
This document is needed when boarding a flight or train and checking in the hotels in Lhasa. While taking an overland trip in Tibet, there are some checkpoints along the road, which will ask for your Tibet Permit.
How to Apply for a TTB Permit?
It is very easy. After you confirm the trip with us, we only need you to send us a clear scanned copy or photo of your passport, Chinese visa and some personal information at least 20 days in advance by email.
Travel Permit ( PSB Permit)
PSB Permit is required to visit the 'unopened' areas in Tibet, including Mount Everest and Mount Kailash. It is issued by the Foreign Affairs Section of the Local Public Security Bureau (PSB).
How to Apply for a PSB Permit?
Generally, you can apply for it upon your arrival at Lhasa. Your passport and TTB Permit will be asked to submit to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB. It normally takes several hours and the cost is already included.
Please notice that individual travelers are not allowed to apply for the PSB Permit. They need to join the tours to visit the 'unopened' areas.
Which Areas of Tibet are Listed as the Unopened Areas?
- Tsedang: Samye Monastery, Tomb of Tibetan King, Trandruk Monastery, Yumbulakhang
- Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, The Mount Everest, Rongphu Monastery, Xialu Temple
- Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa
- Ngari Region: such as Mount Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, Tsaparang, Ali, etc.
- Nyingchi Region: Such as Basum-tso, Pomi, Rawo-tso, etc.
It is required if you are planning to travel to Ngari, Nyingchi, and Nagqu which are regarded as the military sensitive areas in Tibet. It is issued by the Military office in Lhasa. Travel agencies will arrange it as you will visit this area. It usually takes about 3-4 days.
Important Issues about Tibet Permit:
- People with tourist (L), business (F), employment/work (Z) visa and student (X) visa have no issues to get the permit. Diplomats, journalists, and government officials require arrangement by the Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government.
- The details of the travelers are required for TTB Permit: name, nationality, passport number, gender, date of birth and occupation (The copies of your passport and China visa)
- Only the guide could hold the permit after you establish yourself on Tibet land. You are not allowed to bring with it.
Important information about Tibet Permit to know:
- The Tibet permits won’t be issued since the beginning of Tibetan New year till the end of March, the Tibetan new year in recent years takes place in the month of February.
- The Tibet Permit would be opened for tourists from all over the world from April 1st.
- The processing time for the TTP varies from two weeks i.e 14 days to 30 days depending on the type of your tour.
Detailed Knowledge About Tibet Permit
China has some strict rules and regulation about Tibet Permit. At Windhorse.tour, we strive to cover up all the valuable tips and assistance that will help you to make your Tibet tour successful. As we have mentioned earlier that you would need some document to enter China such as Tibet Travel Permit (TTP), China Visa / Tibet Group Visa, Alien Travel Permit / Public Security Bureau Permit (ATP/PSB) and Military Permit. Some of the insight of these essential permits are as follows:
TTP (Tibet Travel Permit)
To enter Tibet, you must require a Chinese Visa as Tibet is a place which is officially Chinese province. Moreover, China Visa would not be enough for Tibet Travel Permit. There are lots of other documents that you would. If you hold passports of various other countries including the then you need to obtain TTP. There is no such specific maximum age limit or a minimum age limit to apply for TTP. You can apply it anytime. Some of the highlights of TTP are as follow:
- It is essential to permit to board the flight as well train to enter Tibet
- If you are an International Tourist, Overseas Chinese with no Chinese passport and Taiwan Citizen then you must need this permit to enter Tibet
- Lots of people are not permitted to obtain such permits such as Diplomats, Journalist, Professionals media photographer and government officials.
- The TTP Checks at the train station, airport, while entering Tibet, and at the time of entering into Tibet attraction
- You can apply for this Permit by booking a Tibet tour with Tibet Vista, sending passport and Chinese visa copies and occupation with a travel agency.
As we stated earlier that Tibet is Province of China. So it is essential for every traveler to have a valid passport And Chinese Visa to enter Tibet. If in case you are entering from Nepal then you don’t need to obtain such Visa. You can Obtain Chinese Visa from the Chinese Embassies and Consulates. But you must obtain it in advance only. While applying for Chinese visa, your visa may refuse if your application would list down Tibet as a Travel Destination. It is applicable to China and cities in China only like Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai etc. as your destination.
- Moreover, if you are entering Tibet From Nepal Region then you must surely need Tibet Group Visa From the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu. It would be A4 size sheet piece of paper with the name, sex, nationality, passport number, date of birth and occupation of each member listed in your group. In this, your date of entering the Tibet and China would precisely be recorded.
- If you are entering China in the group then make sure you enter and leave China together only.
- In order to apply for the Tibet Group Visa, you will need a visa invitation letter from the Tibet Tourism Bureau which would be sent by a tour agency in Tibet.
Aliens’ Travel Permit (ATP)
Aliens’ Travel Permit (ATP) is needed at the time if you want to go beyond the Lhasa region in Tibet. It is quite mandatory to carry out this Aliens’ Travel Permit (ATP). There are many highly restricted areas like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, where you required PSB Permit. This is another term for the Aliens’ Travel Permit. At the time of missing such an essential permit, you will go to be stopped by the local police in Tibet. To obtain such Aliens’ Travel Permit, you will need to have the China Visa and passport too. You need to show them t the time of entering Tibet. Here is the list of cities where you have to show PSB/ATP Permit
- Chamdo Region
- Ngari Region - Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc.
- Nyingchi Region: Pomi, Rawu, the Basum Lake, etc.
- Gyangtse County: Palcho Monastery and Kubum Stupa, etc.
- Shigatse Area: Sakya Monastery, the Everest Base Camp, the Mount Everest, Rongbuk Monastery, etc.
- Shannan Region: the Samye Monastery, the Changdruk Temple, the Yumbulagang Palace, and the Tomb of Tibetan King, etc.
- You can obtain this permit through your Travel Agency. You have to notice that you can apply for Such permit only after arriving Tibet because there is some basic document which is needed to apply for such permit which is a passport, Tibet permit, and Chinese visa.
- It will not take much time to generate such permit, it would hardly take several hours and costs 100 CNY per person
The military permit is another Tibet Permit, which is issued by the military authority in Tibet. These are specially issued by the government at the time of permitting tourist to enter many restricted areas politically sensitive areas and border regions where territory is disputed between China and neighboring countries. Military Permit is quite necessary for such areas. this permit takes around 20 days to be prepared. If you intended to get such Military permits in Tibet, you need to apply for them in advance before leaving for Tibet. For that, you have to give an advance copy of your password as well as China Visa. The Military Permit is issued by the Military Office in Lhasa. Here, we have come up with the list of areas, where you would need such permit to visit:
- Ngari Region: Mount Kailash, Lake Mansarovar, and all other areas too.
- Nyingchi Region: Draksumtso, Pomi, Rawu, and other remote Shannan areas.
- Chamdo Region: Chamdo, Riwoche, and various other provinces too.
- At the time of traveling Sichuan or to Sichuan (Overland Sichuan), or Xinjiang, Yunnan, as well as Qinghai provinces you will require Military Permit.
How WindhorseTour helps you to obtain a Tibet Permit:
We understand the difficulties that a traveler faces during their China Tour. Being a reliable China Travel Agency, we have taken a step forward to make your Tibet tour more joyful and memorable. Since the inception, we are committed to ensuring the hassle free traveling experience of China throughout your life. Our every action apply in your favor. From arranging the China Visa to the Tibet Permit, we assist you in each and everything. There are lots of major thing throughout your journey or tour to Tibet, that needed assistance. We can be that helping hand in bringing you out from all the difficulties. Some of the highlights of our Travel Agency are as follows:
- Trusted Travel Agency of China
- We are local China Travel Agency
- Has In-depth and sound knowledge about China
- Had succeeded more than 1000+ tours till yet
- No Hidden costs that we ask from our clients
- Always Gets Positive response from customers
- Ensure Cost-effective China Trip within your Budget
- Arrange all the essential permits and visa within the specific time frame
- Backed by most talented and experienced Travel Agents of China
We can help you by providing you the detailed information about each and every permit. You can submit all the documents to us and we will come up with the all the essential documents. We already have our links Chinese embassy and other relevant places so that you would not face any problem while making the Tibet tour and obtaining all those permits.
Contact us about Tibet Permits
If you have any other query on your mind regarding the China tour then feel free to contact us anytime by using our given contact number from our office number. We are always open to provide you our valuable assistance. Moreover, there is an FAQ Menu bar in our official website in which all the answer of your query already exists. you can find out your question there and get an answer without waiting for you and response.
The Travel Agency is just meant to make your trip memorable and enjoyable. There are lots of agents, who are presents in your assistance. Thus, you just one call away from all your query and making your relationship with them. All our clients always leave valuable feedback to us and recommended our agent service to people in the most efficient manner.
More Questions about Tibet Permits
Please check our Tibet FAQ.