When to visit Tibet
Facts of the Climate & Weather in Tibet
- In fact, the weather in Tibet is not as harsh as many people imagine it to be.
- The popular time for travel to Tibet starts from April to the beginning of November, while July and August are two of the busiest months because the weather in Tibet during this time is pleasant and it is summer holiday in China.
- If you only stay in Lhasa, you can go there any time of the year. the average temperature of Lhasa reaches 16 C (61 F) in July, and -2 C (28 F) in January.
- Sun radiation is extremely strong in Tibet. The sunlight in Lhasa is so intense that the city is called Sunlight City.
- The thin air can neither block off nor retain heat so that the temperature extremes can be met in the daytime and the same night respectively in Tibet.
- Most annual rainfall comes in the rainy season that starts from July to August. Usually, it rains at night in Lhasa, Shigatse and Chamdo area. The rainfall may block roads and make travel difficult but the scenery at the time will be the best.
The Specific Information in Different Areas of Tibet
- Lhasa to Nepal border (Zhangmu, now it is Gyirong): Regarded as one of the most popular routes for people travel to Tibet, the Friendship highway is basically in good conditions year around. But the landslide could happen on the way from the border to Kathmandu in the months of July and August, the heavy snowfall also can cause some travel trouble from December to February.
- Mt. Everest Area: April to May and mid September to October are the best time to visit Mt. Everest. Due to the clear weather, you have great chance to see Mt. Everest's true face. From December to February, you'd better not to go to this area because it is too cold, except you are real Great Adventure People.
- Far west Tibet Ngari (Mt.Kailash Area): The best time to travel to far west Tibet & northern Changthang is from mid-May to mid-Oct., but travelers should always prepare to have changeable weathers. Snow could be encountered on the high passes at any time of year. The temperature will often drop well below freezing at night, even during the summer months. A great time to meet the pilgrims at Kailash Kora is from June to September at the Hindu pilgrims season.
- Eastern Tibet: Eastern Tibet generally refers to Nyingchi and Chamdo those two prefectures, based on current travel policy, foreign tourists are only allowed to visit part of Nyingchi area (furthest to Ranwo lake), Chamdo prefecture is closed. Nyingchi area can be visited all year round, the weather is mild and the altitude is lower than the rest part of TAR. The suitable time to travel in Nyingchi is from late March to early of Nov., among the best would be spring (March to May) and autumn (Sep. to Oct.). July and August is the rainy season so please don't forget to bring your raincoat or umbrella, in winter, the road could be frozen.
- Northern Tibet: With the average altitude of 4,500 m. (14,764 ft.), this area offers very limited time for tourists. Summer (July to August) is the prime time to enjoy the great plain in northern Tibet.
Our Tours with a Time to Visit:
- Sightseeing tours - Can be done any time of the year
- Everest Base Camp tours - Can be done all year round, the best time to see Everest is April to May and mid-Sep. to October.
- Mt. Kailash Western Tibet tours - Can be done from Late April to Nov. Best time approach in May, June, July, August, September, and October.
- Kham overland tours - Can be done from late March to November, if you don't like the rain, then please avoid July and August.