Corona Virus Update 02/13/2020
Dear valued customers,
We believe most of you have been aware of the current outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus in Wuhan, that was first found in the capital city of Hubei Province- central China.
Due to the spread speed and the number of cases has risen rapidly, at 10 am on January 23rd, the Chinese government has locked down Wuhan city, and then followed with the other neighbouring cities to contain the spread.
On January 24th, for the safety and the health of the public, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism office has ordered travel agencies and tourism companies to stop selling tour packages as another part of an effort to contain the spread.
So far, we recognise the virus as "2019-nCov", which was a temporary name for the virus. However, on February 11th the WHO gives the official name "COVID-19".
"COVI" is for coronavirus, and "D" is for disease, the number "19" is the year when the virus was first identified.
We promise you that we will keep you informed about the situation in China, and here are the new numbers and recommendations for and about the virus.
So far the situation isn't getting better, but we honestly hope that that will change this month and we will continue with our exploration in China together with all of you.
- So far (by latest updates on 02/13/2020) China has reported 59,822 infected people, over 1,500 new cases in just one day. The number of deaths is also going up, but also the number of recovered people which is 6,199.
- The situation in Japan is not so good. There are 203 infected people with COVID-19, of which 42 are new cases. Mainly over 170 infected people are from “Diamond Princess" cruise ship. In Japan there are no deaths, only recovered people- total 9.
- The coronavirus is spreading in other countries in the world, and the total number of infected people has risen more than 350 plus 175 in the cruiser in Japan.
- Germany has reported 16 infected people, UK has 9, US 19 infected people, Australia- 15, Russia and Spain have reported 2 persons, UAE have 8 people etc.
- The new hospitals in Wuhan are already open for patients.
The number of infected people with COVID-19 may be much more than infected people than SARS, but now the situation is different because the Medical teams in China are much more prepared than back then in 2003.
What is Coronavirus? What are the symptoms?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as pneumonia to Middle East respiratory syndrome, known as MERS, and severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS. Common signs of infection include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and, unfortunately, death.
As a local travel operator, WindhorseTour would like to suggest to our clients:
Dear clients, please keep in mind that we at WindhorseTour care for all of you, and we will go through this difficult period together, as we did in 2003 during the SARS period. Back in 2003, the situation was also quite difficult, but everything was back to normal a few months after the virus. We will keep you informed when it will be safe for you to travel again in China.
- For those who are planning to travel to China in the following months (February/ March), we recommend you to hold your plan until the official release announcement.
- For those who had booked the tours for the coming month travel (February), WindhorseTour will assist you for any cancellation and refund at the beginning of February. No cancellation fee will be charged.
- For those who booked the tour for the next month (March) and the following months, you may consider holding the booking for a few weeks more to see if there is any release.
If you have any questions, you can contact us on our website or the contact that you already have, and we will answer back as soon we have information for your concern. Here is additional Novel Coronavirus Information for Travelers.
When the virus was first detected in Wuhan, the medical professionals thought that the virus could be separated if you are in contact with animals. But, on February 4th it is confirmed that the infection can spread person to person.
The incubation period is considered to be from 2 to 14 days, but it is also found that it can be up to 24 days.
This is how you can protect yourself:
- Avoid any contact with sick people. Don't get too close to people coughing or sneezing. Keep your distance at least one meter away.
- Avoid animals (alive or dead), animal markets, and products that come from animals (such as uncooked meat).
- Wash often hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Wear proper masks when you have to go out
- Avoid touching your eyes and nose wherever possible
- Maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle