Crisp hand cakes (hand grasp cakes) are a snack food fad that has swept mainland China in recent years. In Chengdu, shops selling crisp hand cakes are a common sight. It’s not surprising to see groups of people anxiously waiting in long lines for this popular food. One reason crisp hand cakes are so popular is because you can make them anyway you want. Crisp hand cakes can be made with eggs, bacon, or vegetables. You can add ketchup, jam or whatever your heart desires.
Adding to their popularity, crisp hand grasp cakes are easy to make, even at home. If you want to broaden your cooking repertoire to include this Chinese cake, just follow the easy steps below and do it yourself!
Ingredients: Flour 300g, half a spoon of salt, lard 20g, cold water 190g, salad oil in proper amounts.
- Mix the flour, salt, lard, and cold water together, knead into smooth dough. Average the dough to 5 single parts, wipe the table surface with salad oil to prevent the dough from adhering. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 30 min.
- Take the dough, extend it into a long thin strand with your hands. Roll the strands into thin flour slices using a rolling pin.
- Brush a layer of salad oil on the surface of the table.
- Twist both sides of the slice, extend and stretch gently with hands, slowly into a spiral.
- Drop spirals into a basin of oil until inner layers are covered with oil. Allow spirals to sit in the oil for about 1 hour.
- Slowly flatten the dough and roll it. Place rolls into a pan over a low flame until fried golden brown. Pat rolls while still hot until they are crisp.
After completing these simple steps, it is time to decide what you want to put inside your crisp hand cake. It's totally up to you. But if you don't have the time, skill or ingredients to make crisp hand cakes at home, why not consider taking a short trip to Chengdu and treating yourself to this special treat for the first time?
Eat crisp hand cakes as well as taking a 1 Day tour in Chengdu: