Facts of the Climate & Weather in Tibet
- In fact, the weather in Tibet is not as harsh as many people imagine it to be.
- The popular time for travel to Tibet starts from April to the beginning of November, while August and September are two of the busiest months because the weather in Tibeta during this time is pleasant.
- If you only stay in Lhasa, you can go there anytime of the year. the average temperature of Lhasa reaches 16 C (61 F) in July, and -2 C (28 F) in January.
- Sun radiation is extremely strong in Tibet. The sunlight in Lhasa is so intense that the city is called Sunlight City.
- The thin air can neither block off nor retain heat so that the temperature extremes can be met in daytime and the same night respectively in Tibet.
- Most annual rainfall comes in the rainy season that starts from July to August. Usually it rains at night in Lhasa, Shigatse and Chamdo area. The rainfall may block roads and make travel difficult but the scenery at the time will be the best.
The Specific Information in Different Areas of Tibet
- Lhasa to Zhangmu: Regarde as one of the most popular route for people travel to Tibet, the Friendship highway is basically in good conditions year around. But from December to February, the road with heavy snow could make some trouble.
- Mt. Everest Area: Early May and early October are the best time to visit Mt. Everest. Due to the clear weather, you have great chance to see Mt. Everest's true face. From December to February, you'd better not to go to this area because it is too cold, except you are real Great Adventure People.
- Ali (Mt.Kailash): Even without climate restrictions, this area is already inhospitable. Big rain and snow could make the journey worse. However, for those determined tourists, the appropriate time is May, June, July, September and October.
- Eastern Tibet : Do not go to this area in July or August (the rainy season) because the rain could ruin the road, and make terrible landslides. In winter, the road could be frozen. The best time to visit this area is from Late March to Late April, or Late September to early November.
- Northern Tibet : With the average altitude of 4,500 m. (14,764 ft.), this area offers very limited time for tourists. Summer (July to August) is the prime time to enjoy the great plain in northern Tibet.
Our Tours with a Time to Visit:
- Sightseeing tours - Can be done anytime of the year
- Everest Base Camp tours - Can be done from March to November, best time to see Everest is Early May and early October.
- Mt. Kailash Western Tibet tours - Can be done from Late April to December. Best time approach is May, June, July, September and October.
- Kham overland tours - Can be done from late March to November, but need to avoid July and August.